Doug and I got to talking tonight about what constitutes spiritual growth and if there is a tangible yard stick. When someone tells you, “I just don’t feel like I’m growing” or something similar, what does that mean?
We got to wondering how people measure their own spiritual growth. Some of the things that came to mind…
- I am more like Christ today/this week/this year than I was yesterday/last week/last year–and what does “more like Christ” look like?
- I feel better about my walk with Christ
- I know more about God, I see God at work
- I pray more, I read the bible more, I understand more spiritual things, I’m serving/participating more, I give more financially
- I enjoy church more, I go to church more, I have more church friends than I used to
- I’m in a small group/bible study group
- My life has changed for the better: emotional healing, addiction recovery, greater ability to resist temptation, increased self esteem
- I’m not standing still
- I’m more loving than I used to be
What do you think?